[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Wed Sep 22 17:04:00 CEST 2004

"Matt Mihaly" <matt at ironrealms.com> writes:

> I'm not arguing there are good implications to quests. I'm just
> asking why killing a mob to do a quest to get your desired result
> (xp) is a good reason but killing a mob to get xp is not. If I
> want xp, then I have a good reason (my desire) to use whatever the
> most efficient method of obtaining xp is.

I think you could make new "XP systems" for avantgarde-MUDs quite
easily in which the basic motivation wasn't some abstract number
detatched from the world.  Off the top of my head:

"Gourmet MUD"

  - 1 character per account.

  - Characters need a variety of dishes to stay healthy, happy and
  powerful.

  - Advanced tradeskill system with tracking of which character made
  a contributon at each step.

  - Reward characters for their contribution to a dish when that
  dish is consumed by a character that is "hungry". Hunger is
  time-based.  (reward could be faction, skillpoints, money etc)

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/