[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Tue Sep 21 21:39:06 CEST 2004

HRose wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> Why is killing a mob in order to fulfill a quest to get xp a
>> 'good reason' but skipping the middle bit and just killing a mob
>> to get xp not a 'good reason'?

> (It was about World of Warcraft)

> A lot. Not much to your eyes because you are isolating a mechanic
> in the game that isn't isolate at all. There are a lot of
> interactions around this quest-based grind and the concrete
> results on the players are completely different. I've wrote on a
> forum a message listing all the "good" implications of the
> quest-based system but I cannot find them.

I'm not arguing there are good implications to quests. I'm just
asking why killing a mob to do a quest to get your desired result
(xp) is a good reason but killing a mob to get xp is not. If I want
xp, then I have a good reason (my desire) to use whatever the most
efficient method of obtaining xp is.

--matt