[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Wed Sep 22 20:09:15 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> I'm not arguing there are good implications to quests. I'm just
> asking why killing a mob to do a quest to get your desired result
> (xp) is a good reason but killing a mob to get xp is not. If I
> want xp, then I have a good reason (my desire) to use whatever the
> most efficient method of obtaining xp is.

Because the desired result is what makes mmorpgs boring as hell and
pointless. Camping and grinding aren't mechanics that do good to a
player or a designer. WoW offers an alternate path with the benefits
I explained in the other message. You can still grind your way
through the treadmill but you loose the experience of the content
(so the fun), and questing "should" be more efficent than camping a
spot (and since the spawns are long you'll have to move even if you
really want to camp).

The point is that WoW tried to offer a more interesting gameplay
with a mechanic that is then incentivated to be more
"productive". Not only the other is "viable" and way more fun, but
it is also more rewarding under various aspects. The "designer"
obviously wants something else because of those positive effects on
the rest of the game. The player wants the new path because it's
more fun, natural and also efficent.

-HRose / Abalieno