[MUD-Dev] PvP and teamspeak?

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Wed Oct 13 19:30:32 CEST 2004

Ling Lo wrote:
> Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

>> Is it common for PvP oriented teams to require teamspeak? I
>> suppose it could be a real advantage when you coordinate PvP
>> actions. Still, they say they aim for around 70 members. How do
>> such guilds organize their fighting given the bandwidth issues?
>> Any ideas? I imagine that you could set up teams with teamspeak
>> and then have the teamleader using text chat to coordinate.

> Perhaps you should take a deeper look at TeamSpeak (TS2)?  The
> software allows you to set up channels, put passwords on the
> server or individual channels and specify user registration.
> Users can set hotkeys for common operations, such as change
> channels, without switching in and out of the game client.  Text
> will still be used for clan-wide chat but often it's just chat as
> a good team can squeeze in ten users on a channel without breaking
> into jibberish.

> As for bandwidth, there's a market for gaming clans that want
> their own TS2 server.  I just spotted an advert for a 24 slot
> server at 5 USD a month.

> I find Teamspeak (or Ventrilo) turn online gaming into a sociable
> experience and would much prefer to game with it, even with casual
> games between friends (or perhaps, especially so).

As a wargame our setup may be unique but as a full PvP game, our
players absolutley rely on voice comms. We use TS in an unofficial
capacity for all of our players. In our game we have 2 player run
commands that encompass every official group (chain of command and
deployed units and groups). These commands run their own TS servers
that often have several thousands of players grouped in them. Most
unofficial groups (squads ie guilds) have their own to use.

What's nice is that these can be run in conjunction and players can
have access, readily, to the channels they need to communicate on.

We also run event based scnarios in which all players who wish to
participate must join up in a hierarchical group structure
simiulating a military command. Once this command is set we export a
text file to http://www.battlesim.com/ and they prepare an exact
copy of this command structure with appropriate channels of
communications including permissions.

Ultimately we'd like to make voice comms and integral part of the
game.  There are some issues with that primarily in that we would
then be in chare of policing it. Bandwidth is negligible at
best. One of the other problems is dealing with people who do not
have microphones and can thus not transmit but a highly developed
verbal emote system could be used there, and in many ways would be a
better choice than integrated voice comms.

Anyway, to answer Ola, yes, voice comms are generally considered a
must have for PvP games. I believe the new Counter Strike has them
built into the client.

Dana V. Baldwin
a.k.a. "Gophur"
Producer