[MUD-Dev] PvP and teamspeak?

Ling Lo linglo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 22:44:08 CEST 2004

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:01:37 +0200, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad
<olag at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> Is it common for PvP oriented teams to require teamspeak? I
> suppose it could be a real advantage when you coordinate PvP
> actions. Still, they say they aim for around 70 members. How do
> such guilds organize their fighting given the bandwidth issues?
> Any ideas? I imagine that you could set up teams with teamspeak
> and then have the teamleader using text chat to coordinate.

Perhaps you should take a deeper look at TeamSpeak (TS2)?  The
software allows you to set up channels, put passwords on the server
or individual channels and specify user registration.  Users can set
hotkeys for common operations, such as change channels, without
switching in and out of the game client.  Text will still be used
for clan-wide chat but often it's just chat as a good team can
squeeze in ten users on a channel without breaking into jibberish.

As for bandwidth, there's a market for gaming clans that want their
own TS2 server.  I just spotted an advert for a 24 slot server at 5
USD a month.

I find Teamspeak (or Ventrilo) turn online gaming into a sociable
experience and would much prefer to game with it, even with casual
games between friends (or perhaps, especially so).

Cheers,
Ling