[MUD-Dev] PvP and teamspeak?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Wed Oct 6 22:01:37 CEST 2004

I am not playing World of Warcraft, but it is kind of interesting to
look at how a PvP guild positions itself before launch. I.e. their
vision tends to be somewhat clear when the enthusiasm is at its
height. Here is a quote from http://www.die-guild.org/ :

--<cut>--
  Things we will be looking for in an applicant:

  1. Lots of play time. 30 hours or more per week. We are hard core
  gamers NOT casual ones and take our gaming habit...err hobby
  seriously!

  2. Must use Teamspeak! No excuses!
--<cut>--

Is it common for PvP oriented teams to require teamspeak? I suppose
it could be a real advantage when you coordinate PvP actions. Still,
they say they aim for around 70 members. How do such guilds organize
their fighting given the bandwidth issues? Any ideas? I imagine that
you could set up teams with teamspeak and then have the teamleader
using text chat to coordinate.

This kind of situation makes PvP game designs rather impossible to
balance for non-hardcore without either making defense much eaiser
than attack or introducing some kind of artificial handicaps based
on ratings etc. The most bothersome thing seems to be that the
advantages of teamspeak and a professional organization structure
isn't really represented in the server database.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/