[MUD-Dev] PvP and teamspeak?

Brian Hook hook_l at bookofhook.com
Tue Oct 12 06:02:16 CEST 2004

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:01:37 +0200, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Is it common for PvP oriented teams to require teamspeak?

Teamspeak is growing in popularity, not just in PvP use but also in
PvE/cooperative environments.  Gamers are becoming very accustomed
to the use of voice for coordination.

> it could be a real advantage when you coordinate PvP actions.

It's a real advantage, period.  Using TeamSpeak while playing City
of Heroes probably doubled our effectiveness vs. using pure text
chat.  The primary advantage of using text chat was that it forced
(good) players to act more conscientiously -- voice comms allow you
to act a bit more fast and loose than is maybe recommended.

> How do such guilds organize their fighting given the bandwidth
> issues?

I don't think voice comms really consume THAT much bandwidth with
any of the reasonable codecs.

> imagine that you could set up teams with teamspeak and then have
> the teamleader using text chat to coordinate.

Yes, multiple channels (one channel per team) and then text between
leaders.

> This kind of situation makes PvP game designs rather impossible to
> balance for non-hardcore without either making defense much eaiser
> than attack or introducing some kind of artificial handicaps based
> on ratings etc.

Any way I read the above, it feels like "we can't balance between
dedicated players and casual players" -- that's going to be an issue
no matter what, no?

> The most bothersome thing seems to be that the advantages of
> teamspeak and a professional organization structure isn't really
> represented in the server database.

Well, right -- how is this a bad thing?  Professionally organized
and coordinated groups would seem to have an advantage, I'm not sure
nerfing players that show dedication is going to be an effective use
of time.

Brian