[MUD-Dev] ADMIN: Attitude, this list, and moderation

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Oct 5 16:45:51 CEST 2004

Writing as list owner:

  This list is open to all posters, no matter their stature,
  credentials, or (lack of) prior accomplishments.  However that does
  not mean that this list is open to all posts.  Posts must meet a
  variety of requirements to get onto the list.  This list has a
  charter, as posted at the list page, and messages are expected to
  adhere to that charter and advance the basic purposes of the list.

  None of which should surprise anyone and none of which is about to
  change.  What is about to change is a little more subtle and a little
  more difficult to define in concrete terms: the attitudes and
  viewpoints I accept and encourage as moderator.  In particular I'm
  concerned with the difference in viewpoint that a designer or
  implementor or researcher or other like individual usually has in
  contrast to the viewpoint of a player or other consumer.  This is not
  particularly a list for player interests or the player PoV outside of
  the degree to which it impacts design, implementation or research.
  About the closest I've been able to come to a litmus test is the
  somewhat abstract: Does this post help post or resolve a constructive
  problem that is of interest to the list?  Note that the identity of
  the author of the post, or their (lack of) professional status in
  their field is not part of the test.  The content and direction of the
  post is central.

  Which, vague arm waving aside, basically means that I'm going to be
  tweaking my moderation patterns and principles a bit in this
  "attitude" area.  The expected impact is that a few more posts aren't
  going to make it onto the list and rather a lot more posts are going
  to be sent back with requested revisions and this message is a heads
  up so that you won't be too surprised if a message that would have
  made it through yesterday no longer does.

  Enjoy.

--
J C Lawrence