[MUD-Dev] SMOG - small multiuser online game

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Wed Feb 4 09:58:44 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 20:46, Crosbie Fitch wrote:
> From: Byron Ellacott

>> And, if you can arrange a connection for Player 2 to hear Player
>> 1 in near-realtime, you can use that connection to transfer the
>> static world data also.

> Good point.  But, small steps man.  Let's walk first. (unless you
> have 5 million smackeroonies or so)

Most FPS engines support automatic map downloading these days.  The
Unreal engine, at least, also supports portals, and one of the
suggested uses of portals was going through a doorway to discover
oneself connected to a different server.  This sounds a bit like
what you're aiming for?

Unfortunately, I didn't follow up the leads on the Unreal portal
technology.  I'm fairly sure it was never taken to the extremes it
could have been taken to, though.

--
bje