[MUD-Dev] MUD client popularity

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Wed Feb 4 09:11:18 CET 2004

From: "Brian Hook" <brianhook at pyrogon.com>
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:23:48 -0800, Rayzam wrote:

>> At which point, it's worth having a java telnet-app running off
>> of your web page, which has more features. We don't have a nicely
>> featured java app, but that seems to me to be the way to go.

> If you're going to go that route, you may as well just do a custom
> client instead of a telnet app, right?

I think there's still a telnet-style demographic. There are many
people who do use zmud, portal, tinyfugue, etc. People with a
favored client who already play muds would probably be less likely
to bother with downloading another client. With the user-base of
those clients, it's worth catering to them.

As for the java-app, you can put whatever other features you want on
it.  The more, the merrier. If it's easier to code one base program
and fork it into a java app and a custom client, then that's the way
to go.

At the level we operate, our users are computer-savvy, but in a
world consisting of point and click. The lower the barrier of entry,
the greater the growth. And that relies on making it as easy as
possible to go from a webpage to being in the game for the first
time. A click-through, of it's own.

    rayzam