[MUD-Dev] MUD client popularity

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Wed Feb 4 00:45:46 CET 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> I don't know of many that use any kind of GUI control interface or
> whatnot.  This is one of my goals with ZMP (Zenith MUD Protocol)
> however, and one of these days I'll get around to implementing
> something in AweMUD/PyCL to show it off.  The idea is, a single
> standard format package is developed in ZMP that works across all
> clients implementing it.  Additionall, a GUI control library,
> perhaps made by sending XML interface descriptions over ZMP, would
> allow the MUD to do much more intricate displays on the client.
> Graphical dedicated clients can also allow for paperdolls and
> automaps and stuff (perhaps controlled over ZMP) to be easily
> readable and usable.

I would recommend a look at the MCP project, which already has at
least one working proof of concept at each end of the client-server
chain.  As well as being a message-passing protocol, there is a GUI
package also being developed for it.

  http://www.belfry.com/fuzzball/trebuchet/mcp.html
  http://www.belfry.com/fuzzball/trebuchet/mcp-gui.htm

--