[MUD-Dev] MCP/GUIs (was: MUD client popularity)

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Wed Feb 4 19:47:08 CET 2004

Zach Collins (Siege) wrote:

> I would recommend a look at the MCP project, which already has at
> least one working proof of concept at each end of the
> client-server chain.  As well as being a message-passing protocol,
> there is a GUI package also being developed for it.

>   http://www.belfry.com/fuzzball/trebuchet/mcp.html
>   http://www.belfry.com/fuzzball/trebuchet/mcp-gui.htm

There has been an MCP-using GUI package for many years now:

TWin:

    http://tchat.research.att.com/

And in addition to the original Java implementation, there's an
implementation in the (very nice) OS X mud client MudWalker:

    http://mudwalker.cubik.org/

And, although it is looking somewhat dead (hello, are you out there
Networker?), TkMOO has support for a fair number of MCP packages
that provide additional functionality.  And instead of having the
server dictate UI, they allow the client to display things as it
wishes:

    http://www.awns.com/tkMOO-light/

But all of these things have been brought up over the years on
MUD-Dev, nothing terribly new or exciting here, but that does seem
to be how the MUD world goes ...

  - Bruce

PS. Despite the URL, I didn't write MudWalker, I merely provide
hosting for it (and other projects that I find
interesting/valuable).