[MUD-Dev] Deriving Self Esteem from one's MMORPG avatar

Vladimir Cole vc at vladcole.net
Thu Aug 12 15:41:27 CEST 2004

"Byron Ellacott" <bje at apnic.net> wrote:

> When I faced jury duty, the skills I'd learned in handling a group
> of people with conflicting goals and strong self interest allowed
> me to play the role of head juror without too much trouble.
> MUDding taught me at least one life skill - leadership.  I don't
> think I expect the respect and authority, but if I need to take
> control of a situation, I know how to command the respect and
> authority, and to move the group in my chosen direction.

I agree that MMO experiences can change you and make you a more
sophisticated leader or problem solver. I don't think that this is
at odds, however, with the idea that MMOs are generally jam-packed
with activities designed to trigger dopamine responses that become
addictive and that satisfy human needs (according to Maslow).

Here's a cool story that I just saw today on this subject:

  "SUPERMONKEYS ARE NO LONGER science fiction, they're science fact
  thanks to some whacky scientists in the US experimenting with gene
  therapy. Your average monkey will only work hard if he or she
  knows there's going to be a reward in it for them, but thanks to
  the treatment, all of the monkeys did their very best all of the
  time.  Boffins at the National Institute of Mental Health near
  Washington DC have developed a treatment that supposedly
  completely changes their work ethics.  Doctor Richmond from the
  team reckons "normal monkeys and people procrastinate," and that
  they "work better when the reward is nearer in time." Apparently,
  the treatment-monkeys don't procrastinate one bit.

  The treatment involves cutting off the brain's supply of dopamine,
  although apparently after 10 weeks the effects of the treatment
  wear off. .... The Doc seems to think similar treatments could
  help people with conditions like depression, or other conditions
  where motivation seems to have been plucked from people's
  lives. ....

  (Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17834)

The phrase "other conditions where motivation seems to have been
plucked from people's lives" immediately made me think immediately
of online acquaintances who had given themselves entirely to the
easy ladder of MMO progression at huge cost to their progression in
more commonly accepted measures of success.