[MUD-Dev] Deriving Self Esteem from one's MMORPG avatar

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Thu Aug 12 05:55:50 CEST 2004

Corey Crawford wrote:
> Michael Hartman wrote:

>> Can having a successful MMORPG character make one less ambitious
>> or driven in real life because the sense of accomplishment you
>> are deriving from the game is sufficiently satisfying?

> And the flip side too: After playing a successful MMORPG character
> does it start affect how you approach real life situations? Do you
> being to expect the respect (and authority?) you receive online
> when you are offline?

When I faced jury duty, the skills I'd learned in handling a group
of people with conflicting goals and strong self interest allowed me
to play the role of head juror without too much trouble.  MUDding
taught me at least one life skill - leadership.  I don't think I
expect the respect and authority, but if I need to take control of a
situation, I know how to command the respect and authority, and to
move the group in my chosen direction.

--
bje