[MUD-Dev] Dealing with cloned NPCs

Owen Matt Matt.Owen at thetube.com
Fri Jun 20 10:44:42 CEST 2003

From: Thomas Sullivan [mailto:one4k4 at yahoo.com]

> How do you coders deal with NPCs?

> Sounds like an easy one, and it may be that I'm overlooking the
> simple facts.. But if I'm in a room and the "look" results are as
> follows:

>   You stand in the desert, with a wal-mart to your south.

>   People here: Jum Jum Joey, a desert rat, a desert rat, an orc
>   medic.

> I want the user to be able to attack "a desert rat" and be able to
> tell his friends to attack *the same* rat.. (grouping, etc..)

I think I'd approach this with a more natural apparoach.

If player1 attacks a rat, then Player2 would be able to type:

 -> ATTACK RAT WITH PLAYER1

The server would parse the WITH command and ensure that player2 is
attacking the same rat. Quite easy to implement, and easy for
players to understand.

-MattOwen.