[MUD-Dev] Dealing with cloned NPCs

Kristen Koster kkoster at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 20 10:21:42 CEST 2003

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 09:45  AM, Marc Bowden wrote:
> --On Thursday, June 19, 2003 17:36 -0500 Kristen Koster
> <kkoster at austin.rr.com> wrote:

>> The way I've always seen (mostly diku/merc background here) of
>> dealing with multiple instances of the "same" NPC or object is to
>> have the parser recognize a syntax like "kill 2.rat" so that

> In LPC this works out to typing "kill rat 2".

> Somehow, I know *someone* is going to tell me that's
> counterintuitive, just because a lot of cross-type players do.

A lot of it is what you started with and are used to. =) Would make
the most sense with a natural language parser with "kill second rat"
or "kill the second rat" although also knowing what you're up
against and having a variety of natural adjectives that distinguish
different mobs as Sasha suggested also works for most of our
players.

>  - Marc, the cretin to whom "channel chat send /toall /pemote
>  wave" makes less sense than "gossip :waves to everyone."

Heh. We just just CHAT WAVE as the syntax, as we only allow socials,
not emotes on our global channels.

-Kaige
kaige at legendmud.org