[MUD-Dev] Dealing with cloned NPCs

Marc Bowden ryumo at umich.edu
Fri Jun 20 10:45:17 CEST 2003

--On Thursday, June 19, 2003 17:36 -0500 Kristen Koster
<kkoster at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> The way I've always seen (mostly diku/merc background here) of
> dealing with multiple instances of the "same" NPC or object is to
> have the parser recognize a syntax like "kill 2.rat" so that
> everyone can attack the second NPC with the keyword "rat" in the
> room or drink from only the second water tap in the room. This
> works for not just cloned NPCs and objects but also ones that
> share keywords.

In LPC this works out to typing "kill rat 2".

Somehow, I know *someone* is going to tell me that's
counterintuitive, just because a lot of cross-type players do.

  - Marc, the cretin to whom "channel chat send /toall /pemote wave"
     makes less sense than "gossip :waves to everyone."