[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Oct 17 16:23:08 CEST 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Dave Trump wrote:

> I've always though the standard pay $x a month to play the game
> model was moronic.  As evidenced by accounts selling for $1000's
> on ebay it's obvous that there is a significant number of people
> who are willing to pay much, much more.  I'm truly amazed that no
> one has moved to a tiered system yet.  If I were to pridict
> something about the future of MMOGs it would be that set fees wont
> last much longer.

Tiered business models and alternative business models are nothing
new. Simutronics and to some extent Everquest both use a tiered
business model, for instance. Achaea and Aetolia both use an
open-ended 'retail' business model that doesn't cap how much a
player can spend (though conversely, lets players also spend nothing
if they choose).

--matt