[MUD-Dev] re: future of MMOGs

Adam ceo at grexengine.com
Fri Oct 18 04:27:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 01:53:21 -0700
Dave Trump <trump at trumps.net> wrote:

> A totally free MMOG is perhaps an impossibility there is certainly
> room for other business models.

> NWN's DSO mod (http://darksunonline.org) has pulled in something
> like $300 in donations in the last week alone, even though there
> are rarely more than 20 players online at once.

> I've always though the standard pay $x a month to play the game
> model was moronic.  As evidenced by accounts selling for $1000's
> on ebay it's obvous that there is a significant number of people
> who are willing to pay much, much more.  I'm truly amazed that no
> one has moved to a tiered system yet.  If I were to pridict
> something about the future of MMOGs it would be that set fees wont
> last much longer.

Masabi (who have just started selling/are about to sell a Repton
port on mobile-devices at the moment) believe they're amongst those
pioneering "level-based payment" where you pay to get to the next
level of the game (preferably whilst in the game itself,
seamlessly).

Some of the founders are friends of mine, and we were chatting at a
show earlier this week, where one was waxing lyrical (the wine was
already in free flow) about how this was so far unique (on any
non-trivial scale) in the mobile market, although I'm somewhat
doubtful.

  http://www.bluetechnologies.co.uk/masabi/repton/index.html

(and a recent news story @ theregister):

  http://theregister.co.uk/content/54/27603.html