[MUD-Dev] Commercial web based MUDs

Azeraab azeraab at dies-irae.org
Sun Jan 13 11:43:26 CET 2002

A while ago I started work on a web based MUD.  This was at a time
when you could actually make money off banner ads. As I was working
banner ad industry was falling apart.

I checked out other web based games like Archmage, Planetarion, and
Droidarena, and they all seemed to be just barely covering costs.

Eventually time constriants caused me to shelve the project.  Now
I'm considering picking it up again, but I dont want to sink all my
time into a project thats just going to end up costing me money to
run.  I know I could make money by spamming my users with porn
offers, but I'd really rather not do that for reasons that should be
obvious.

Has anyone worked on such a project?  If so are you turning a
profit?  Anyone have any insight on the effectiveness of the common
solutions?  (Requests for donations, giving premium services to
those who donate, charging a small monthly fee, etc).