Issue of the "Experience" (Was Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Alex Kay yak at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 13 13:37:09 CET 2002

From: "Michelle Elbert" <michelf at silverspoonandpaperplate.com>

> What we're really frustrated about here, I think, is that we
> haven't really come up with a good way to get these people to get
> along without some serious human intervention. (Which is time
> consuming and costly.)

Sounds like 'real life' huh? Whilst the Internet and these games
somewhat break many stereotypical walls marked by racial, religious
and social differences thanks primarily to anonymity, it doesn't
mask all personal traits, but brings others to the fore.

As we can't solve these problems in the real world, how can we
expect to solve them in the virtual?

Indeed, I think it will get worse before it gets better. As these
games become more realistic and complex, giving players greater
freedom to interact with each other and their environment, 'real
life' issues will likely be replicated ever stronger. Will we have a
virtual Green Peace, fighting to save virtual trees, in a virtual
world, but with real passion? Of course the 'griefers' will be the
ones chopping them down :)

Then again, isn't this the level of interaction and emotion we all
want to see? Can it only be born of conflict?

Alex