[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sun Jan 13 11:14:20 CET 2002

J C Lawrence posted on Saturday, January 12, 2002 10:36 PM

> It is easy to confuse "richer content" with "better content".
> Typically this is done by saying that various multi-media forms,
> spiffy graphics trappings, etc are inherently and necessarily
> "better" than more constrained and limited forms.  The problem is,
> they're not necessary or inherently better.  They confuse
> technical quality with effective communication.  They're not the
> same thing.

> Its a perception game.

<snip excellent, beautiful post about communication richness
vs. better content>

Yes, yes, and YES!

To make a very quick parallel:

A player can emote "Talien sighs deeply, rubbing his forehead." on a
MUD.  My mind filled in the blanks.  What wasn't described was
Talien's posture, the expression on his face, the frown to his
mouth.  But I saw all of them just the same.

On a MMORPG, I have a stony-faced automaton with vacant eyes that
stare straight ahead and moves in a stiff, repetitive manner and
can't even TOUCH HIS FACE. Sure, you can type that's what Talien
"did" in the MMORPG but visual cues dominate as a communication
function.  No matter what, that's still some weird zombie staring
past me trying to look frustrated.

What I just described was body language.  That was not role-playing.
Talien could be pissed that his girlfriend dumped him in real life,
or he could be frustrated with the burly fighter desecrating an
altar (don't ask how!).

Everyone understands communication on that basic level.
Role-playing just approximates it as closely as possible by
attempting to copy those nuances with body language, speech,
emotions, and conversation.

Role-playing has become this alien, unattainable concept in the
MMORPG world, a niche that only insular gamers enjoy.  Let's not
confuse the role-playing community with the value of role-play.

When you can achieve the level of detail that we see in our minds
when looking at people, THAT is media richness.  As JC has said,
it's all about communication -- role-playing isn't some elite
version of it.  It is communication in its purest form.

JC, you should put that post somewhere permanent, it was excellent!

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien