Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Mon Dec 16 22:45:38 CET 2002

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com posted on Monday, December 16,
2002 1:17 PM

> I actually quite like mules, I initially got one in EQ because the
> bank space is woefully inadequate. I then realised that I liked

I agree that this is a gaming flaw that should be addressed (which I
think is adequately addressed in SW if I understood Raph's post).

> being able to use my wizard to teleport my monk around. Personally
> I don't see why I should have to beg people to teleport my monk,
> when I've spent 200+ days getting my wizard up to the highest
> level.

That's right. That makes you a self-contained system.  If there's a
party system, and presumably there is, it's purpose is for you to
play with other people.  If the purpose of MMORPGs was to have a
bunch of single-player folks running around by themselves, why
bother having other people on it at all?  Taking this thought to the
extreme, you should be able to resurrect your character, heal your
character, tank for the party, blast, and do everything because you
invested a lot of time in it.

Not good enough.  That destroys the purpose of a social construct.
If it's all about how much time you invested, you could just as
easily invest it in a single-player game.  Muling makes it easy for
a player and simultaneously isolates them from the unknown quantity
-- HUMANITY.

Make it so that you don't need other people, and the gaming
community rapidly erodes as those who do not mule are pushed out by
those who do.  What if I WANTED to party and teleport your monk, but
because you brought your wizard on I missed that opportunity?

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien