AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Dec 16 22:44:20 CET 2002

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com> wrote:

> The other important factor, that commonly seems to be overlooked,
> is getting the height, fov and combat range of the player
> characters right. Its amazing how little of the monsters you can
> actually see when fighting in 90% of these games.

Oh, geez.  Not just fighting.  The scale is often wrong overall.  My
first impression of DAOC was that I was playing miniature golf or
visiting Disneyland.  Don't get me wrong--gorgeous art, but the
terrain was way out of scale with the characters and buildings.  EQ,
AC & AC2 have less of the problem, though they still suffer from the
"short jog up to the top of the mountain" problem.  AO is fairly
reasonable.

Some of this is intentional, I'm sure--only a very few of us like to
spend time sightseeing as we get from place to place, and nobody
wants geography to be a prime limiter on where they can go (hence
the popularity of portal/gate abilities).  However, truly grand
vistas would be fun.

Amanda Walker