[MUD-Dev] off-line pk

David Loeser daklozar at home.com
Tue Jun 5 23:25:28 CEST 2001

On Monday, June 04, 2001 9:31 PM Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Freeman, Jeff wrote:

>> I think it would be more interesting if it happened the other way
>> around.  Now THAT represents a compelling gameworld: When
>> something IRL ticks you off and you get your revenge - and are
>> *satisfied* with that revenge - in VR.

> I notice that happening a lot and have for years, particularly
> among teenagers. They get in pissy little arguments outside the
> MUD and start trying to take revenge on each other in it.

Part I:

  I'm not that old... 36, but it seems to me that the good old days
  of a fist fight are long gone.  It's not enough to give someone a
  black-eye any more, you have to kill them.  I'm not sure why
  fistfights (or wrestling matches - as most of the fights turned
  into) are passe, maybe kids/teens just don't want to deal with
  mild pain and embarrassment... who knows.

Part II:

  I'm wondering when game developers are going to unite, form a
  P.A.C. and be represented on Capital Hill (or at the U.N.)?
  Seriously, with all of the acts of violence that are being
  associated (or more like blamed on/) with computer entertainment,
  will, IMHO, have huge repercussions on the industry and in
  particular; online gaming.

As a participant in the development of a new breed of online game -
I'm really worried (scared) that _witch_hunts_ are just around the
corner.  The law-suit in Colorado is a glimpse of what is to come...

Thoughts?

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser