[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Marc Fielding marcfielding at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 23:17:31 CEST 2001

Trump wrote:
> Marc Fielding wrote:

>> I can understand how the original author (Trump) views the
>> situation. His pen and paper gaming sessions were probably
>> attended by a small group of ideologically similar players. The
>> DM most likely created a rich, varied and intensely satisfying
>> roleplaying experience. Like most of us on this list, Trump wants
>> to see his incredibly cool experiences translated to the
>> technology available today.

> Not at all.

> While it was smaller scale, we had as much ideological diversity
> and infighting as MMORPGs have.

> But instead of trying to force everyone into playing nice or
> following the Master Plan, we just built a stage and let the
> players form thier characters.  The story flowed from how those
> character related to what little fiction existed.  The characters
> played supporting, but somewhat significant roles in the evolution
> of the fiction.  I think this style of play would translate
> excellently to the MMORPG environment.  Certainly better than the
> "totally open" or "singleplayer game that thousands play" styles
> that are so common today.

I'm having a little trouble associating not "trying to force
everyone into playing nice or following the Master Plan" with your
initial suggestions for a rigidly controlled RP experience in
MMORPGs. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're getting at. Could
you explain it a bit more?

Marc

----
Marc Fielding
marcfielding at earthlink.net

Current Research: The creation of group minds via involuntary
                  holarchic subsumption. >=)