[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jul 4 01:21:05 CEST 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Aside from insult to personal preference and annoyance at the
> general lack of demonstrated creativity in stock MUDs, is there
> really a harm done by them?

I, personally, blame stock MUDs for causing the horrendous
group-think that exists among most MUD designers. I realize that the
stock MUDs were inspired by monster-bashing games like D&D, but they
have just reinforced that. When you as a newbie administrator
download your MUD-in-a-box and it's all about monster-bashing, and
when 95% of the other MUDs you see are also about monster-bashing,
then many people are going to get locked into that mental box, both
designer and player.

--matt