[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Jul 4 00:19:23 CEST 2001

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 18:46:32 -0700
Brian Hook <bwh at wksoftware.com> wrote:

> I have no idea what NWN's limits are, but if it's comparable to,
> say, a Quake or EQ zone, then that difference IS important...

While I agree that its important I'm not sure its critical,
especially for more RP or non-GoP oriented game designs.  Most
MUShes are not that large in area, Castle Marrach is quite small
(don't know what their player numbers are like).  Even for GoP games
the smaller format is constraining up until you start viewing them
as one-off custom adventures perhaps something akin to a single
night's table top play for instance.

  Christopher: Is there a interesting derivation of the name
  Marrach?

Certainly it makes for a rather different game than the rest of the
field, which we already knew in NWN's case.  (NWN is getting close
to being the first bit of commercial software I buy this century).

> Of course, ideally you would have unbounded regions that streamed
> data in continuously, but designing and implementing this
> architecture is significantly more time consuming than a pure
> level/zone chunk system (in all facets, including art, technology
> and tools).

Especially for a home designer audience.

J C Lawrence                                             claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                                http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/
I never claimed to be human.