[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 4 02:37:13 CEST 2001

J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:56:14 -0400
> Alan Unsworth <aunsworth at rcl.lib.rochester.edu> wrote:

>> Who has tried to combine combat with MUSH code?

> IIRC there have been several attempts in the MOO world, not least
> the various ColdX-based/derived projects (probably the most recent
> work).

> Bruce!  Care to chime in?

I hadn't responded originally because I was taking the poster
literally, combined with not having a whole lot of spare time these
days.

Strictly speaking, I'm not at all familiar with MUSH beyond the very
basics.  Brad Roberts, a cohort of mine, developed and maintained
some of the old battletech implementation for MUSH, but much of that
was hard-coded in C rather than written in the MUSH language.

There are other more liberal interpretations of the question though:

  * Has anyone tried to implement combat in a heavily soft-coded
    system?  Yes!  Plenty of examples of this in LPC, MOO and Cold.
    Some of the newer servers written in Python or Ruby or Perl
    would probably qualify as well, although I haven't seen an
    actual combat system written in those systems yet.

  * Has anyone tried to implement combat in a more social
    atmosphere?  I'd guess that this has been done.  TEC, at the
    least, would roughly qualify here.

  * Has anyone tried to implement combat in a system that isn't
    heavily numbers based and where consensual RP is the order of
    the day?  I'm completely ignorant wrt this question. :)

  - Bruce