[MUD-Dev] Experience System Differences

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Wed Jan 17 13:24:16 CET 2001

<EdNote: Quote trimmed>

----- Original Message -----
From: "rayzam" <rayzam at home.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Experience System Differences

okay, i enter a forest... a gain 100 exp (numbers don't matter).  I
take 1 step north, get another 100 exp.  Go east, get another 100
exp... go west, am ambushed, remain there get 100 exp.  This doesn't
make ANY sense to me.  Once you enter an area you may get experience.
But well we are focusing on that how is exploring the world going to
teach me how to use a sword better?

Here is my idea for implementing it in a skill based system.  Their is
a category of skills called exploration.  As you explore new AREAS
(not rooms) you slowly learn more about that area.  As you do your
exploration sucess goes up.  When you know 100% about that area, you
are done.  This could give you certain benefits.  Ex.  Exploration
factors into searching, searching factors into getting knowledge of an
area.  Once I know about this area, i can quickly walk to some places
(say 5, you could do this incrementally), but you must be in the area,
and must go through the actions of going from point a to b, only it is
automated.  You get a better sense of direction in that area (harder
to be disoriented) and maybe even gain atk bonuses vs. monsters
commonly found in that area.  Your charisma goes up cuz people know
you.

These things are more realistic, and make more sense, all one more
reason I like skilled base systems.