[MUD-Dev] Experience System Differences

Warren Powell warren.powell at team.xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 17 13:02:13 CET 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Alornen wrote:

> I've been working on the design for my MUD and I was wondering if
> anybody could give some insight as to the differences between the
> two types of systems I've been debating.

> The first system would have the character gain a level after a
> certain, static amount of experience has been gained, let's say
> 1000, for example.  Mobs would then decrease in experience after
> every level by a certain percentage.  For instance a mob could give
> 100 exp if the player character was level 1, 50 if he was level 2,
> and so on.

> The other system would have a mob that would give a certain number
> of experience no matter what the level of the player, but the
> player's experience needed to gain a level would increase for each
> level.  1000 for lvl 2, 3000 for 3, etc.

A slight variation on this theme would be to go with the second option
(where mob exp is the same whatever level you are) but provide a
modifier based on class and race to the exp required to level. So a
player who is an Elf would have to gain an additional 10-20% to
increase in level than a human (to reflect the races extra
abilities). This would be determined on several factors, mainly how
many benefits you give each race, but you could also take it to the
next level and increase the multiplier for future races chosen based
on how many players choose to be elves/dwarves etc.

i.e. You have a player base of 100. 10 choose to be human, 20 dwarf,
20 halfling, but 50 elves. The base race exp modifer for an elf with
an equal number of other races is 1.2 (20%). A player base with 50%
elves would increase that modifier to 1.7. This would only apply to
new elf characters with older characters remaining the same as they
were when they were created (some 1.2, some 1.4 etc). This would
(hoefully) level out the races in the player base.

Likewise with classes. Imposing a small exp modifer based on a
percentage of the player base would create a more equal distribution
across the player base.

ideas??

Tavolir
warren.powell at eds.com