[MUD-Dev] Exploration Exp (was: Experience System Differences)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Wed Jan 17 11:11:10 CET 2001

Corey Crawford writes:

> Anyone have some better ideas?

Yes, dump experience as a model for measuring everything.

Reward explorers with the rewards of exploration: character knowledge
of the world, including geography, wildlife, etc.

Reward socializers with the rewards of socialization: character
faction, improved language skills, improved skills for whatever the
socializers are doing while socializing - which may include trades and
such.

Reward killers with the rewards of killing: having achieved the kill,
looting the body, etc.

Reward achievers with the rewards of achieving: having reached a goal,
winning the award or prize, etc.

Eliminate increasing personal power and increasing hit points.  If
this isn't done, then don't bother with the above reward systems.

The experience model dates back to D&D, which is a game designed for
small groups with a dedicated gamemaster.  Experience was allocated so
that the group generally has a sense of achieving something during the
course of the game, and to provide a basis for advancing skills that
was manageable at the paper and pencil level.  Experience could be
rewarded for ANYTHING because it was entirely at the discretion of the
gamemaster.  When I was a D&D dungeonmaster, I'd finish a session and
tell each player to revise what they had done in the game.  Then I'd
make up a number off the top of my head for what their game experience
was worth to their character.  If the player liked to explore, they'd
emphasize their travels.  If a player liked the killing aspect, they'd
emphasize that, and so on.

Dump the experience model.  It's out of date, and the computer is
capable of much better systems.

JB