[MUD-Dev] Dogma 2001

David Turner novalis at novalis.org
Sat Feb 3 06:55:49 CET 2001

Frank Crowell wrote:

> I wandered over to Gamasutra to look for more information for my One
> Billion Person world building project and ran across Ernest Adam's
> "Dogma 2001" (http://www.gamasutra.com/).  I get the impression that
> Ernest is having some fun with the game community.  If you look at
> the original inspiration -- Dogme 95-- you will see that the rules
> for Dogma films are completely unacceptable to 99.9999...% of film
> and movie makers.

<SNIP>

> Another item is the "no good and evil" condition.  Seems that there
> are several dominate themes in human history: sex, struggle of man
> (sorry women do not struggle apparently), and "good and evil".  I
> mean we clearly understand that there is pure evil in the world such
> as IRS and ISP providers that deliberately drop the line and cause
> your character to be killed on some mud.  And with enough time and
> search, I am sure we could find pure good.

But, the IRS doesn't think of themselves as evil - they see their job
as necessary.  He's not saying that you can't have beings who you
would regard as evil, just nobody who regards herself as evil (well,
actually, you could read it to allow Evil in the absence of Good, or
visa-versa).

> The other interesting one has to do with "no man-made black" except
> for ink.  So I looked around my house with the intention of "poofing"
> everything that is man-made and black.  Black cat survived, but I lost
> some computer and stereo equipment.  Fortunately my car is blue but I
> will use this technique to get a parking space.  For a few things I
> had to look very closely -- I mean is black only "000000"?

heh.  I think this is probably his best rule, despite its
inapplicability in RL.  It is hard to draw, shade, and light black
things.  Note that you can still use black for shadows (as long as
they are safe or non-fictional shadows).  Except for possibly this one
rule, The Sims is a Dogma 2001 game.

--
-Dave Turner | The corporation and its subordinate divisions shall
-------------| have the sole and exclusive right to use the name, "Blue