[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Aug 25 06:21:27 CEST 2000

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, John Buehler wrote:

> > Matthew Mihaly
> > Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 3:20 AM
>
> > I, personally, think the reason a truly large PvP world hasn't been
> > developed isn't because of a lack of interest. It's because people get
> > stuck in the traditional gaming model, which is almost always PvE. You
> > have a few standouts here and there that are PvP, but generally very
> > trivially so (ie usually only one aspect is being tested, like twitchiness
> > in Quake, quick strategy decisions in C&C, etc). Diplomacy is the example
> > I would hold up of a great PvP game, though even there, it's too limited
> > in its options in my opinion.
>
> There's a problem with citing board games and such in support of either
> PvP or PvE contexts.  That is one of time investment.
>
> In Quake, I have no real investment in my character.  It takes me seconds
> to advance it as far as it can go and develop it as much as I can.  Death
> is a way of life, and when I die, I don't really lose much of anything
> except the equipment that I got and possibly the position I got myself
> into in the game world.

As another poster pointed out, a single game of Quake is just part of the
larger community. Players who are into it have a very real investment in
their reputation. I can't think of anything more important to players than
reputation. It puts trivialities like who has the most xp and best eq to
shame.

Unfortunately, I had to not read the rest of your reply, due to a lack of
time. Sorry about that, as I'm sure I would have found lots to disagree
with. =)

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1