[MUD-Dev] UO rants

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Aug 25 06:18:43 CEST 2000

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, John Buehler wrote:

> I understand.  But later in your post you state that cooperative gameplay
> is harder to implement in a game.  That's a statement that I certainly
> agree with.  I guess we don't have a world that provides both cooperative
> and competitive gameplay at equivalent levels of 'enjoyment'.  The fact
> that those games succeeded in attracting a large group of cooperative
> gamers who eschewed the competitive aspect of the game suggests to me
> that cooperative gameplay is at least attractive.  I'll still maintain
> that cooperative games (PvEs) will be the real means of advancing to the
> truly massive multiplayer vehicles.

Erm, what do you think I'm talking about when I'm talking about PvP?
Cooperation is _essential_ to good PvP. Look, it's no different from the
real world. During a war, citizens of a country _cooperate_ to _compete_
with other countries whose citizens are cooperating.

I would love to continue this discussion, but I'm leaving for the
aforementioned UN conference in a few hours and won't have time to keep up
with this thread while I'm gone. Sorry!

--matt
"He that is wounded in the testicles, or have his penis cut off, shall not
enter into the congregation of the Lord." Deuteronomy 23:1