[MUD-Dev] Re: evil - good realism

quzah quzah
Sat Oct 24 04:40:14 CEST 1998

From: Jon A. Lambert <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> on Saturday, October 24, 1998 at
12:47 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: evil - good realism

>On 22 Oct 98, quzah [sotfhome] wrote:
>>
>> It is my belief that for a great deal of it, good and evil is more of
>> a "view". Something is only evil if those around you and/or on the
>> recieving end view it as so. (Take the crusades, and the freaks that
>> bomb buildings.) Perhaps your method of asigning good and evil should
>> take into account your peers before adjusting the good/evil-ness.

>You can code a mud world to implement a relativistic or an absolutist
>view of good and evil.  Since many muds are fantastic by nature, it
>would be mainly a thematic decision.  You could even implement a
>mud universe where your good alignment score is keyed to the number
>of abortions you perform.  Or you could model reality.  Whatever
>floats your boat.

I was thinking more along the lines of action->reaction methods in
relation to perception of those around you; since it is what I favour
in the way of creatures and so on responding. However, I note your
point. And hey, if you're a bible enthusiast, then ther *IS* only
right or wrong. (Pharaphrase: "If you are not for me, you are against
me.") So I can see where the major good -vs- evil/right -vs- wrong
gets its huge following; like it or no.
-Q-