[MUD-Dev] A flamewar startingpoint.

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Tue Dec 9 17:05:18 CET 1997

On 13/11/97 at 10:31 AM, Derrick Jones <gunther at online1.magnus1.com> said:
>On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>> [Greg:]
>> > From: Brandon Cline <brandon at merlin.sedona.net>

>> I think that hurts the whole thing.  I'd much rather that my character
>> take out a loaf of bread and start munching on it if I'm standing around
>> chatting with friends, but I certainly don't want them doing it the midst
>> of combat.

>Not really, you allow the character to preset when and when not to eat.
>Might get tricky trying to decipher contextual clues like knowing at what
>point the characters are 'safe' from a pursuing foe, and if the
>characters even realize they are being pursued.

This could simply be tracked as an event rate for the character.  If the
event rate is low enough, then the character can be assumed to have enough
free attention and time to care for himself.  If the event rate is higher,
the character is driving himself past the limits of his normal care
routine.

Note: In this context an event is defined as a state change to the
character, or a pro-active action by the character.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net