[MUD-Dev] DGN: MMOG Game Economies

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 24 07:08:00 CET 2005

Tom Hunter <tchunter3 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I don't see anything like this happening in the games I have
> played.  All the sinks have been player to game, rather than
> player to player.  Anyone aware of games that had a strong system
> of player to player trade?  DAOC has a pretty good system of high
> level to high level trade, but nothing where lower level players
> provide goods or services to higher level players in exchange for
> cash or items.

Yes.  FreeUO shards.  Many are running on purely player economies.
I keep a few NPC vendors around for sale of basic items, but
everything else is player driven.

I sell "player vendors" (NPCs that sell things for their human
masters, take 15% of everything they sell and return the rest to the
human when asked) to player characters.  Players can always
barter/sell directly, as well.

> My theory is that a system that did this might lead to a more
> complex and interesting economy than the current systems where
> transactions are either high level to high level or player to
> game.  Comments?

It does.  Lower level player characters can often "work off debt" by
delivering an arranged amount of resources to the crafter in order
to pay for stuff.  You see interesting placement of player vendors,
advertising and pricing.