[MUD-Dev] DGN: MMOG Game Economies

Tom Hunter tchunter3 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 13:21:07 CET 2005

Rayzam wrote:

> That's true if and only if the spigot and the drain is equal
> across all levels. Which generally is not true. You get to the
> highest level and a lot of the drains go away.  So what happens
> then? My feeling is that inflation goes up, the price index forces
> the cash rewards to drop. This means that you're penalizing the
> lower level players the most. What used to give them $10 may now
> give them $1, but the drains: training costs, etc, are still high.

> In most games, the majority of the player-held Cash reserve is in
> the highest level players.

This comment + Paulo got me thinking about wealth in the real world.
In the real world the rich sink a lot of wealth into the less rich.
My upper middle class neighbors pay other people to mow their lawn,
those people are not poor, and the nieghbors are not rich, but there
is a substantial difference in incomes.

I don't see anything like this happening in the games I have played.
All the sinks have been player to game, rather than player to
player.  Anyone aware of games that had a strong system of player to
player trade?  DAOC has a pretty good system of high level to high
level trade, but nothing where lower level players provide goods or
services to higher level players in exchange for cash or items.

My theory is that a system that did this might lead to a more
complex and interesting economy than the current systems where
transactions are either high level to high level or player to game.
Comments?