[MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurttheMMOcommunity?

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 18 05:09:09 CEST 2005

ghovs <ghovs at plex.nl> wrote:

> It's hard to argue that it isn't just dramatics when most of the
> time, it's just dramatics.

Thanks, that's the best I've read on this to date.  In fact, you're
probably correct.  The next question is, what happens to guys like
Raph, and Bartle, and Lum, and Ubiq?

These are some of the great philosophers of the game.  What will you
guys do now that we don't really care what makes players tic, and
tic "well", together?

Recently, the whole arguement kind of summed itself for me.  It came
to me when I heard again the term "grind" used to describe what I
like to call "playing a game".

Image two twins, Joe and John, seperated at birth.  Joe is given to
a mega-wealthy family and grows up never having to consider his
choices or worry about working because he's so rich, his
great-great-great grandchildren won't have to work.

John is given to a low-income, lower-class family.  John has to work
and struggle for everything he has, all through his life.

At 45 years of age, imagine both men sitting on seperate yachts, on
seperate oceans, each at the same financial point in their lives.
Anything is possible, but which man would you suppose has the
greater depth of character?  Which man has more "life experiences"?

The discussion of how to cultivate this kind of character and these
kinds of experiences are what drew me to this forum in the first
place.  As the discussion turns towards "DGN: Best methods of
validating credit card information in regards to role-played
interactions", I'll be deleting my subscription.

Thanks,

Jaycen