[MUD-Dev] ANNOUNCE TECH CODE

Robert W. Fuller garbageout at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 28 08:55:20 CEST 2005

MudOS lives!  I just completed a hack-a-thon on the MudOS driver
that has been running a production LPMud for over ten years.

This is quite a bit different from the more recent MudOS drivers.  I
branched in 1995.  This has the features of MudOS_0.9.20 without all
the bugs.  It also has some nice enhancements.  The really gory part
was I had to rollback a lot of the "fixes" to the
compiler/interpreter in order to fix them correctly (Think lvalue
lifetime bug and other things that peed on the LPC bytecodes.)  I
also fixed that nasty:

  Warning: Error in the '%s' function in '%s' The driver may
  function improperly if this problem is not fixed.

This means the safe_apply function doesn't actually crash the driver
on error anymore.  So anyway, it runs a lot of "classic"
distribution mudlibs, essentially anything that would run under
MudOS_0.9.20.  Did I mention it hasn't crashed in over 4 months of
running a busy MUD?

Note that the documentation isn't really up to date.  You have to
read ChangeLog to get a clue as to what is new and what is fixed.
Also, LPC->C is not functioning because I haven't maintained it.

If you chose to muck with this feel free to ask me for support.
(Constructive) feedback would be appreciated.  I'll set aside a
certain number of hours per week to deal with support/clean up.  I
would appreciate volunteers for clean up and documentation.

This is available for ftp from ftp://mudos.dyns.cx.  The new version
is "MudOS_1.0_Source_Only.tar.gz."  MudOS_0.9.20 is there as well
which you will need for documentation as my releases will be source
only initially until the doc's are updated. Also, there's a special
version of yacc you may use in place of your normal yacc.  This is
an optimizing version of yacc derived from an old Amylaar yacc.

-Ed.