[MUD-Dev] Time travel, borrowing from LegenMUD

Tiago Carita tiago.carita at netcabo.pt
Thu Mar 10 14:16:56 CET 2005

olag at ifi.uio.no wrote:

> What if a MUD/MMO launched with a contemporary world setting and a
> viking age setting. You start in the contemporary world, and there
> you can find a technology that allows you to travel back in time
> to the viking age. You are however in the same landscape, except
> maybe rivers have moved and soforth. So the landscape is both
> known, and unknown. When you time travel you leave everything but
> your skills behind. So basically you can provide two different
> type of game plays. Maybe only the viking age allows PvP.

HI!!

Last year we actually tried to develop a concept based on time
travel very similar with your idea..

We had even thought in integrating land control areas, Clans could
own areas and the strength was proportional with the layers of time
they possessed.

After lots of discussion we believed that we needed to create some
kind of resource that would be common to all ages and that would
need to be channelled back and forth, something different from the
Oil (our century) or wood (16th century) or fire (minus a hell lot
of centuries).

The big problem was how to link everything, how to give player
focus? He could play in its favourite Era but would that be good?

If he likes the Ice Age why should he travel further if we wanted to
isolate the time eras so players would not bring cannons to kill the
dynos!

We abandoned the concept early on because the effort of producing
several Eras even if they shared the engine and gameplay was
enormous, we could nearly consider each Era a new game with new
graphics, sounds, objectives...  new testing...

But it'ss a cool concept...