[MUD-Dev] Attractive Grouping (Was: Focus vs. Scope)

olag at ifi.uio.no olag at ifi.uio.no
Wed Mar 2 16:48:32 CET 2005

Leland Hulbert:

> I've been wondering about a new experience point system, based on
> "experiences."  A system where each person receives points for
> doing something new.  Killing an orc gives you XP.  Killing
> another doesn't, because it's not new.  Maybe killing an orc with
> a sword will give you XP, and you can get more by killing an orc
> with a club.

I think this is a good idea for a MUD, might be difficult for a MMO
because of the team-play requirement.

But, wouldn't it be even better to just forget about XP and go for a
skill based system? For instance, you are going to raid some castle
guarded by orcs with clubs. So, first you need to get up your
parry-orcs-with-clubs skill by locating NPCs with clubs, and
fighting lonely orcs with clubs adds most to your skill.

The game system could deduce how much fighting a particular monster
type with a particular weapon type would add to
parry-orcs-with-clubs by looking at the defining characteristics
associated with the parry-orcs-with-clubs skill.

How to implement it?

Alternative 1: You update a skill vector for every monster you
fight.

Alternative 2: You store the past N fights and update a skill when
it is used by scanning the fights that has occured since the last
time the skill was updated. This is probably the more efficient
strategy.

Ola.