[MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt the MMO community?

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Thu Jul 28 00:29:05 CEST 2005

Darkwolf wrote:

> I've been part of 4-5 large raiding guilds between several games
> (eq1, eq2, daoc, wow) and none of those guilds used team speak
> (beyond a couple select members who were close friends), most of
> them did some form of DPs or another and honestly, of the people
> raiding 90% were there *soley* because of the loot.  They hated
> it, in fact I've heard raiding as the only activity to do at high
> levels that makes a difference in your character as the primary
> reason most members quit those guilds... shrug.

That is exactly my experience with raiding and raid guilds. I have
been a part of both raid and non-raid guilds, incidentally.

> I don't think most people even in large raiding guilds enjoy
> raiding all that much, most of them are there strictly for loot
> and would be there even if it involved pushing the "1" key on the
> keyboard for 4-5 hours straight to get the items or DPs or
> whatever they want.

I agree that most of them do not even enjoy it. I also agree that
most raids do indeed boil down to pressing the 1 key for 4-5
hours. With huge numbers of people, individual responsibility
plummets. Each person ends up having a very simple, specialized job,
which gets very boring over a few hours.

> Alot of the current mmo's could benefit from having their dev's go
> play some of hte muds that have been around for 10+ years... those
> muds tend to have neat things... like working economies *boggle*
> non-combat activities *boggle* function pvp that doesn't involve
> mass newbie ganking *boggle*.

I couldn't have said this any better.

--
Michael Hartman, J.D. (http://www.thresholdrpg.com)
President & CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.