[MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt the MMO community?

Darkwolf darkwolf at neo.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 01:07:30 CEST 2005

Amanda Walker wrote:

> Raids are minigames (roughly speaking, a "Counterstrike in armor"
> minigame in most MMORPGs).  Some people play MMOs only for
> raids--I

See that's the real problem here, if raids *WERE* counterstrike in
armor alot more people would enjoy them.  As they stand presently
they're just a pain in the rear.  I've been part of 4-5 large
raiding guilds between several games (eq1, eq2, daoc, wow) and none
of those guilds used team speak (beyond a couple select members who
were close friends), most of them did some form of DPs or another
and honestly, of the people raiding 90% were there *soley* because
of the loot.  They hated it, in fact I've heard raiding as the only
activity to do at high levels that makes a difference in your
character as the primary reason most members quit those
guilds... shrug.

> The issue, to my mind, is not raids per se.  Raids are clearly fun
> for a large number of players (and the success of Counter-strike
> supports this, I think).

I love fps, i did tribes, tribes2, cs, bf1942, bf/2, planetside,
etc... all on TS/vent, etc... the problem with raids is simple... it
should be "gogogogogo" but it's... "Go wait... hold on... wait... go
pause... ress.. wait... go... people leave... people join... go.."
until they change the fundemental nature of mmo combat though I
don't really think that's going to change.  I don't think most
people even in large raiding guilds enjoy raiding all that much,
most of them are there strictly for loot and would be there even if
it involved pushing the "1" key on the keyboard for 4-5 hours
straight to get the items or DPs or whatever they want.

High end content in every major mmo right now is hideously broken
for a variety of reasons.

Alot of the current mmo's could benefit from having their dev's go
play some of hte muds that have been around for 10+ years... those
muds tend to have neat things... like working economies *boggle*
non-combat activities *boggle* function pvp that doesn't involve
mass newbie ganking *boggle*.

Anywho, my 2 bits.