[MUD-Dev] Mounts and Vehicles

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 09:21:55 CEST 2005

On 9 July 2005, Greg B wrote:

> Would anyone like to think out loud about when they remember first
> seeing an implementation of vehicles and mounts (text-based and
> graphically)?

We had a coracle in MUD1. This looked and behaved like a single-user
vehicle, although actually it was merely an object that, if you
carried it around with you, you could enter sea locations that were
otherwise inaccessible.

Officially we didn't have mounts, but we did have the ability for
wizzes to use characters as what were effectively mounts: they could
transport into the character's inventory, and thus be in the same
"contained by" hierarchy used for rooms. Hmm, that might only have
come in with MUD2, come to think of it; I'd have to check.

Richard