[MUD-Dev] Mounts and Vehicles

Ammon Lauritzen ammon at simud.org
Tue Jul 12 18:00:56 CEST 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Greg B wrote:

> Would anyone like to think out loud about when they remember first
> seeing an implementation of vehicles and mounts (text-based and
> graphically)?

The first vehicles I remember in a graphical game would have been
the tanks in Ikari Warriors ('88 or so). The first vehicle I ever
saw in an mmo game would have been a submarine something that
someone in my dorm had built on Tiny Tim in the mid 90's.

It was basically an object that he described thoroughly and then
climbed inside of. He wrote commands to allow for piloting the thing
around the mush and a filter that passed information on from the
outside world.  Much hillarity ensued, but then again, that's the
point of the game.

Other vehicles that I have seen in muds are generally nothing more
than walking bags that carried loot for you, followed you arround
the game, and changed your entrance/exit messages.

Three Kingdoms has had something like this for its knights guild for
as long as I can remember (I know it was in place well before I
logged in there for the first time in '96). I am pretty sure that
mounted knights had combat modifiers.

Other guilds in the game had similar walking bags, but nothing that
combined all of the features together. Witches had brooms that
allowed them to 'fly' but that was about it.

Some time in '98, I sat down and drew up a system for modular combat
vehicles in an lp mud. The basic idea was that players could acquire
a chasis that would accept different types of upgrades (engine,
shield generator, weapons, propulsion units, etc...). The computer I
was documenting this on blew its hard rrive (first time that ever
happened to me, either, come to think of it...), so I never got
around to actually writing the system though I have thought back on
the idea quite a few times over the years.

Ammon

- --
Ammon Lauritzen
http://simud.org