[MUD-Dev] Alternative team based approaches to game-play

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Mon Jan 31 13:20:43 CET 2005

Damion Schubert wrote:
> cruise wrote:

>> Reading through these posts, something struck me - has anyone
>> tried having seperate pools of XP for solo and team play? Or at
>> least an seperate metric for success in teams?

>> Dieing while in a team would affect only the teamXP (and maybe
>> hurt the other player's teamXP too? Theoretically someone could
>> die on purpose to hurt the team, but they'd probably be kicked
>> out if they did, and would have such low teamXP if they did it
>> regularly it's unlikely anyone would team with them in the first
>> place), so not hurt your levelling.

>> Anybody spot obvious flaws? Improvements?

> You're disincentivizing two things here that you don't want to:
> grouping and risk.  You want your players to take risks, and do
> thinks cavalierly from time to time.  If someone is
> disincentivized from taking chances with a group, what you're
> incentivizing is players to solo and/or for players to only farm
> perfectly safe groups and areas with a group.  This will, of
> course, only accentuate the sense that your game is a grind.

> I'd encourage you to, instead, think of a bonus instead of a
> penalty.  If the entire party gets through the dungeon and kills
> the boss monster, they get the normal reward.  But if the entire
> party gets through and kills the boss monster without anyone
> getting killed, they'll get a super unique foozle +10.  This way,
> you're encouraged to group casually with strangers most of the
> time, but encouraged to group with trusted compatriots when you
> want to go for the brass ring.

Well, technically, this was intended as a bonus - I really didn't
explain the idea very well.

When in a team, you still get your normal XP from kills and such, as
you do now. The idea was the TeamXP was /in addition/ to this, when
in a team. At its core, it would give other players an idea of how
often/well a player groups, simply by comparing the ratio of "combat
level" to "team level".

If you want to give bonuses to players with high teamXP then you
could easily do so. Equipment wears out less, boosts to recovery
rates, etc.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"