[MUD-Dev] Alternative team based approaches to game-play

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 19:10:02 CET 2005

olag at ifi.uio.no wrote:

> Do we need the mechanics of the RPG paradigm? Does it support team
> play better than a more homogenous approach?

> What are the problems with this approach? (well, except the
> identity issues)

Players are lazy.

Players seem to prefer specialized roles, both for gameplay reasons
and identity reasons (this is just uneducated guessing).

Other than that, I think it's an interesting system. I'd like to try
a game like that, but I'm a hard-core gamer (when I have the time)
and prefer classes (pets, hybrids) with multiple roles. I don't know
if this would appeal to Joe Average Gamer or Joe Not-Yet-A Gamer.