[MUD-Dev] New job...Alternate Reality Games

Adam adam at grexengine.com
Wed Jan 12 22:03:38 CET 2005

In case anyone's interested (maybe you're not :)), as of next week
I'll have left Grex Games and moved to a new game company as CTO.

A little info on Grex: the company is still going fine without me at
the helm and the technology will continue to be developed at a
"ticking over" rate. The tech is still in use in some live non-game
servers, although all our game customers have gone under or
cancelled their projects for reasons unrelated to the tech (which is
very disappointing). Anyone wanting to know what's happening with
sales would have to contact Grex directly - as far as I understand,
the sales operation continues unaffected, since there is a decent
retail product, but I do know that support will be especially light
for the next two quarters while reshuffles etc take place.

A little info on where I'm going: I've been specifically asked to
keep quiet until the next launch (soon) because of concerns to do
with the game side and some stuff going on there, so this has to be
brief I'm afraid. Suffice it to say, the company is developing
Alternate Reality Games (think: Majestic) and I'm delivering the
tech that runs them. There's some truly unique aspects that put the
first game in the realms of the "so novel it's scary to work on"
MMOGs, which you can choose to take either way, either good or bad
(off the top of my head, most of those games so far died quickly and
painfully :)).

I'll try to explain all once things are out of stealth mode,
hopefully soon.

Ironically, I hear on the grapevine that the same VC's Grex failed
to get excited about MMOG's are now - in 2005 - finally grokking
it. Ha.

Adam